As parents, we all want our children to win the race of life. Helping your Whittier student get ahead can be greatly enhanced through using these online resources. Whittier teachers are also utilizing some of the resources in the classrooms with your children.
Whittier highly encourages all parents to sign up for the DPS Parent Portal. This important resource allows you to look at attendance, behavior records, report cards, test scores and information on all of your children in DPS. It also has many resources designed to help you help your children succeed.
WHITTIER ONLINE TOOLS WITH LOGINS/PASSWORDS
Go to whittier.symbaloo.com for links for most of the online resources below.
The following online tools are used by Whittier specifically. Each one will have an individual login/password for your child.
- ACCELERATED READER is the program used in the 2nd-8th grades to track the books your student takes home and reads. Your child then takes a 10 question quiz on each book. To stay informed on what your child is reading and how they are doing on quizzes you can log in anytime. Your child’s user name is “dps” followed by their student ID number. Their password is their birthday displayed as 8 digits. (EXAMPLE: Username – dps123456, Password: 02092005). The website is here.
- STUDY ISLAND helps students in Kindergarten through 8th grade master state-specific, grade-level academic standards in a fun and engaging manner. Students at Whittier use Study Island as a supplement to classroom instruction. Login/password information is available from your child’s teacher. The website is here.
- BRAIN POP creates animated, curricular content that engages students of all ages and bolsters achievement. LOGIN: dpsbrainpop PASSWORD: dpsbrainpop. The website is here.
The following websites are available to all and do not require a Whittier/DPS login. Most of the websites also allow you to track your child’s progress which can be an excellent way to see how your children are progressing with these tools.
- KHAN ACADEMY is a free online resource featuring short 10-minute videos with an emphasis on K-12 math and sciences with some humanities. More info here.
- STARFALL is a free website focused on helping children (Pre-K to 1st grade) to learn to read using phonics. More info here.
- TUMBLEBOOKS is a wonderful source for e-Books for your children to read or have the computer read to them. More info here.
- VOCABULARY SPELLING CITY is a game-based educational website and mobile app used by students to build vocabulary, writing, spelling, and language arts skills. Some of the games are free with the premium membership of $29.99 providing you access to additional games. More info here.
- KIDS KNOW IT NETWORK is a free children’s learning site with an endless supply of games and activities. More info here.
- SMITHSONIAN STUDENTS: Explore, Discover, Learn: Art and culture, history and travel, science and nature. Explore all the Smithsonian has to offer at Smithsonian Students. More info here.
- NATIONAL SCIENCE DIGITAL LIBRARY provides a chance for students of all ages to dig into science topics. More info here.
- NATION MASTER is great for older students who want to learn more about the world. More info here.
- + PASS CARDS are for students who take advantage of the DPS Success Express service. Forms and information can be found here.